Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Montana State Championship Road Race

Another race, another victory for team GAS/Intrinsik! Sunday brought on the Bearmouth Road Race acting as the state championship this year. The course was challenging in that it had 7 hills going out and then a 4 mile climb and on the way back, the same. The race did not start with a gentle warm up but rather attacking from the start. After around 5 miles a break stuck containing my teamate Brian Frykman. The break ended up sticking for the rest of the race (70 miles) and Brian took the group sprint getting his second win on the season and a excellent preview of what could be happening at next weekend's Elkhorn Classic.

As for the rest of us, we hung onto the main group and in the end had a group sprint where John Curry took second in. The last 20 miles were tough as most of the group wanted the break to be caught, so we prepared the orange train for a lead out in the final sprint, but there was no need thanks to Brain.

As far as my result personally I took 10th overall in the cat. 1,2, 3's and 4th overall in the cat. 3's, which got me onto the podium for the state championship which I was not expecting. I was sureal being on top of the podium winning the state championship road race last year in the junior category and being on the bottom of the podium this year in the category 3 race. I was extremely happy with this result. There were 5 times I counted where we were going so hard that I thought I was going to puke, thanks to Marschall Opel's furocious attacks to try and catch the break away group.

No comments: